2016年5月10日 星期二

The Future Project Workshop 1: Community

We started our 3 weeks workshop by doing a test on our thought for the 2060 and ultimately got a score that show our level of optimism. We getting into groups base on the scores so we roughly had similar vision on how the world will be in 2060.

The first week was about Community which was a very broad subject. After looking at all of our primer works we did over Easter, we decided to develop the idea of gender boundary. Our idea was that the future would have a decline in segregation and that the rigid definition of gender, countries borders, sexuality and religion would be more fluid. It was quite a lot to say and we have to think how can we present this idea to the public. Additionally, we will be presenting our work in Peckham Square so we have to come up with something that can interact with people as well.

After a long discussion, we decided to hold a passport office in Peckham Square. A passport that doesn't identify people as male or female by the gander that they're born with. The aim was to give people the chance to think about their identities and to consider what the world will be if we didn't limit ourself by our physicality.

We did not have much time for the preparation so we wanted to keep everything as simple as possible. Our plan was to give out '2060 passport' to people, that included a gender neutral name, the age group and their own ratios of them as a male or female.

My role was to design the inner page of the passport. I thought a abstract diagram will look futuristic and unique. I will say I was very much inspired by Alexander Calder's work as I went to see his exhibition at Tate a while age. I think the combination of 2D shapes and thin line have a very modern look, which is what I wanted to achieve. I started to make numerous of sketches with simple lines and shapes to find the best design.

Sketches I did while I visit Alexander Calder's exhitbition.

Rough sketches of the design.

While I developed the design I found it would be quite interesting to design the diagram as a face so we could do an quick and simple abstract portrait for each of the person in Peckham. I thought that will add a lot more individuality and character to the passport.


The final design.

We finish the passport with Ai and with the help of my fellow group members (graphic design students), our 'passport' printed out perfectly and we were very happy with that.
The front and back cover. We even added the number of prints at the back.


Although it was SO WINDY and COLD that day. We gave out all of our passports, which mean I did 63 portrait in that hour or so (I didn't do my own one). A lot of people seems to enjoy having a new passport. So I call it a success:)

I got cold after that day though.
Yan

沒有留言:

張貼留言